Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Baba Ghanoush with Cumin Chips



Last weekend, we went to a 40th birthday party for our good friend.  I went shopping for a cute shirt to wear to the party.


I put on these super cute black heels I've only worn once, and that was to a wedding in which I was the matron of honor, so my feet hurt regardless.


Ready to go.  I follow my husband out into the garage, catch my heel on the step, fall, and land on my bum.

I fell straight on my hiney, meanwhile twisting and turning my legs like one of those sticky octopus we used to throw on a window and watch crawl down.  It hurt badly.  And I have a black bruise the size of a softball on my tush to show for it.


Baba Ghanoush is a roasted eggplant dip that even those who don't like eggplant enjoy.  It's easy to make if you have a food processor.  It keeps well too, so feel free to make ahead (just toast the chips before serving).



Baba Ghanoush with Cumin Chips

Dip:
2 eggplant
1/4 c. fresh lemon juice
1/4 c. tahini (sesame seed paste)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1-1/2 T. olive oil
Handful parsley leaves
Salt & pepper

Cumin Chips:
2 packages pita bread
Olive oil
Ground cumin
Kosher salt

Pre-heat oven to 400*.  Prick eggplant all over with a fork and place on sheet pan covered in foil. Roast for 30-45 minutes, flipping once, until very soft and slightly browned.  Let cool a bit.

When cool enough to handle, trim stem end off and peel eggplant like a banana.  Roughly chop and place in food processor.

Add lemon juice, tahini, and garlic and puree until the consistency you like (smooth or chunky). Season with salt and pepper.  Stir in olive oil.  Refrigerate until ready to serve.

Meanwhile, cut pita bread into wedges like a pizza.  Place on sheet pans and toss with olive oil. You will need 2 sheet pans for 2 packages of pita bread.  Sprinkle with cumin and salt to taste (we like a lot of cumin so I probably use 3-4 tablespoons total).  Spread in one layer. bake for 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until crisp and golden.

To serve:  Drizzle baba ghanoush with additional olive oil and serve with cumin chips.


Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment