Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Banana Pancakes with Peanut Butter Syrup


I had a really strange experience regarding these Banana Pancakes with Peanut Butter Syrup.  One night not too long ago, I was drifting off to sleep ~ I was in that odd stage between sleep and awake where you're super comfortable and feel like your body is made of lead, yet you are somewhat aware of your surroundings.  All of a sudden I had an epiphany!


Instantly, the recipe for these Banana Pancakes popped into my head.  (Don't be alarmed ~ it actually happens quite often.  Frequently enough, in fact, that I keep a steno pad on my nightstand so I can write down my creative thoughts). Then the ingredients for the Peanut Butter Syrup jumped in my little brain.  Ok, so that's not the strange part.

I fell into a deep sleep.  The next morning, I woke up, got out of bed, dragged a comb across my head. (Not really.  Just wanted to quote the Beatles).  I picked up a magazine on the floor and immediately opened to an article on Jack Johnson, whose favorite food happens to be Banana Pancakes.  I'd never even heard of this guy until reading this article.  (My dear husband reminds me occasionally how I'm not a big music lover... and that I married a musician.)


Later that day, the whole family was in the vehicle for the 2-1/2 hour drive to visit relatives.  We had been on the road about 15 minutes when my husband, the musician, plugged in his phone to play some music.  What comes on, but this John Jackson or Jack Jackson or John Johnson or Jack Johnson or whatever his name is. And what song is he singing?  "Banana Pancakes."  Guess I was meant to make these.


When you cook these, the bananas get golden brown and caramelized.  The pancakes are fluffy and tangy and sweet.  And they really are very easy.  It's not much more time-consuming than a boxed mix. You can make the sauce ahead as well.  If you don't have buttermilk, you can make a substitute by adding 2 tablespoons of lemon juice or white vinegar to 2 cups milk and letting it sit for 5 minutes.  These pancakes are rich, especially with the syrup, so a little will go a long way.



Banana Pancakes with Peanut Butter Syrup
Feeds 6

Pancakes:
2 c. (10 oz) flour
2 tbsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
2 c. buttermilk
1/4 c. sour cream
2 eggs
3 tbsp. melted butter, slightly cooled
1 tsp. vanilla extract
5-7 bananas

Sauce:
1/2 c. maple syrup
1/4 c. creamy peanut butter
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 tbsp. butter
pinch salt

Vegetable oil for skillet
Butter for skillet


Pre-heat oven to 200°.  Stick a sheet pan in the oven.

For the pancakes, whisk first 6 ingredients.  In another bowl mix buttermilk, sour cream, eggs, butter, and vanilla. Gently mix the wet and dry ingredients.  Set aside for 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, make the sauce.  Dump all sauce ingredients into a small saucepan and heat over low heat, whisking occasionally.

As you make the pancakes, slice a banana or two so they don't brown as you wait.  Heat non-stick skillet over med-high heat.  Add a bit of vegetable oil and a pat of butter.  Scoop pancake batter in 1/4-cup measures into skillet.  Place banana slices in the batter, gently pressing into batter.  Once the top is bubbling and drier, and bottom is golden, carefully flip.  Cook till golden brown on bottom.

Remove from skillet and place on sheet pan and put in oven to keep warm.

Serve with butter and peanut butter syrup.





Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment